ARMADILLO FACTS! Look at that little face!
It’s true! Who would’ve thought that these little guys with their hard shells were mammals!
Interesting Armadillo Facts
– Armadillos are used in Leprosy studies as they are one of very few species that can contract the disease systemically.
– One of the species, the nine banded armadillo, that has a strange reproductive system. They reproduce four genetically identical offspring that all come from one egg.
– They are often roadkill because they apparently jump 3-4 feet vertically when startled.
– There are 21 different species.
– Their armor is made up of overlapping plates covering the back, head, legs and tail. The number of armored bands identifies the different species, according to the San Diego Zoo.
– Only one species, the three-banded armadillo, can roll itself into a hard armored ball to defend itself against predators.
– Other species simply dig a hole quickly and hunker down. This is so that their tender stomach is protected, and furthermore means that their armor is the only thing visible.
Armadillos may just be my spirit animal.
If you like this fact you should check out our Science Category!