I never really thought about what a group of cats was called. Until I read somewhere what they are called, and I couldn’t believe it! I think it’s such a funny name!
Group Of Cats
A glaring, a clowder. What a funny name, you would think it would be something more austere. Cats seem so dignified, and to be referred to as a glaring? Or clowder, a word that sounds like chowder, which is a very undignified food.
Additional Cat Facts:
- First, the word “kitten” used to have a synonym, and this was “catling”. (I want to call them catlings forever now!)
- Second, instead of mom and dad, a kitten’s parents are called the dam and the sire.
- Next, while it is commonly thought that the ancient Egyptians were the first to domesticate cats, however the oldest known pet cat was recently found in a 9,500-year-old grave on the Mediterranean island of Cyprus. This grave predates early Egyptian art depicting cats by 4,000 years or more.
- In addition, during the time of the Spanish Inquisition, Pope Innocent VIII condemned cats as evil and thousands of cats were burned. This, unfortunately made it easier for the black plague to run rampant.
- And finally , approximately 40,000 people are bitten by cats in the U.S. annually.
If you like this fact you should check out our Animals Category!