You Spend One Third of Your Life Asleep.
One third of your life asleep? That doesn’t seem possible, but the math is simple and accurate.
How many days does the average person sleep during their lifetime you ask? Well, if you’re sleeping eight hours a day (one third neat!) and you live to be 75 years old, that’s 25 years of sleeping, or 9125 days!
This little fun fact may be quite obvious but how often do you really think about it?
Why do we sleep one third of our time?
The National Sleep Foundation recommends that adults 18-64 get 7-9 hours of sleep every night, but it really all depends on the person. I know people that can get away with only 5-6 hours, and I know people that have to sleep for 9-10 hours every day or they have a hard time functioning.
The best ways to get healthy sleep are:
– Stick to a sleep schedule, even on weekends.
– Practice a relaxing bedtime ritual.
– Exercise daily.
– Evaluate your bedroom to ensure ideal temperature, sound and light.
– Sleep on a comfortable mattress and pillows.
– Beware of hidden sleep stealers, like alcohol and caffeine.
– Turn off electronics before bed.
source 1: https://www.theguardian.com/notesandqueries/query/0,5753,-50504,00.html
source 2: http://www.technologist.eu/why-do-we-sleep-one-third-of-our-time/