Get Along Little Doggie

Rawhide treats are getting a bad reputation in recent years. This change has a lot to do with people finding out how these treats are made. It also has to do with the chemicals that are used to treat the rawhide, and the fact that they may be very poisonous.

Rawhide

There are a lot of reasons out there to NOT feed them to your animals. Here are some:

– If you don’t know the source, you could be exposing your dogs to poisons and glue used to make the chew.
– Some chews are too hard and can result in your dog breaking a tooth.
– These chews can be difficult for some dogs to digest, resulting in vomiting and diarrhea.
– As with pet toys, rawhide chews can contain trace amounts of toxic chemicals. And, as with other pet (or human) foods, Salmonella or E. coli contamination is possible.

  • Even humans can be at risk when coming into contact with these bacteria on rawhide treats.

– Rawhide bones and other edible chews can pose a choking and blockage risk.
– Watch for signs of bacterial contamination, gastric irritation, or a blockage. Contact your veterinarian if your dog has signs such as:
– Gagging
     – Regurgitation
     – Repeated swallowing
     – Vomiting
     – Diarrhea, with or without blood
     – Fever
     – Lack of energy
     – Signs of pain
     – Refusal to eat or weight loss

If you like this fact you should check out our Pets Category!

If you have a dog and would like to move away from using these treats check out this site. They have a ton of ideas!

Sharing is caring!

Comments

comments