Everyone loves sunshine. Well, everyone except vampires. But did you know that there are certain times that you should avoid the sun?
When and Where Is the Sun Most Dangerous?
– UV radiation from the sun is especially damaging under certain conditions, including the following:
– from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
– from mid-Spring through mid-Fall
– at latitudes nearer the equator (like Florida)
– at higher altitudes
– when there is no thick cloud cover (and clouds only block 20 percent of UV rays)
– near water, snow, or other highly reflective surfaces
The damage gets worse over time, so if you find yourself in these conditions often, constant protection is a must. Remember that besides skin cancer, UV light can also cause cataracts and other eye problems, a weakened immune system, unsightly skin spots, wrinkles, and “leathery” skin.
If you like this fact you should check out our Science Category!